This group runs primarily for semi-professional artists who have either been formally trained or otherwise gained solid experience of exhibiting, participating in, or leading courses.
The group meets six times a year to:
• Undertake critical reviews of work in progress and encourage skill swaps and knowledge sharing
• Introduce and consider different aspects of working as an artist- e.g.:
- running workshops
- working in series / themes
• Form an annual collective process based exhibition or other special project - e.g artist’s books
• Make studio visits
• Encourage informal collaborations between members of the group with a common interest
• With help - share work via the DVA website and other media
This years projects include working on a text based project, with the possibility of exhibiting during art weeks - potentially sketchbooks in a library setting.
A selected fine art membership group bringing together established and recent graduate fine artists.
Meeting around six times a year, much along the lines of a traditional ‘sketch book club’, preferably at artists’ studios - maybe the odd pub - the primary purposes of the group will be to:
- encourage critical debate
- share creative knowledge and experiences
- and perhaps prompt collaborations.
This years focus includes realizing an exhbiition at the Lighthouse in Poole, opening on Saturday 23 November.
We expect Dorset’s professional galleries to be closely associated with and influential to The Salon. Our aims should encompass taking project ideas and outcomes beyond Dorset.
Applications are invited by CV, accompanying letter and a selection of images – see criteria under Projects on the new DVA website. The letter should include reference to why you think this opportunity might be for you and what you think you can bring to the group.
Making Dorset is a relatively new initiative building on the publication ‘Fifty Dorset Makers’. We also have a separate Making Dorset website https://www.making-dorset.org/
Making Dorset is formed of 50 selected members with an expectation that members will commit to a 2 - preferably 3 - year involvement. The grouping is open to new members – a waiting list may apply. Please see the criteria on the new Dorset Visual Arts Website; www.dorsetvisualarts.org
We are continually looking at new and interesting ways and venues to show our Makers' work. We would love to curate a room set style exhibition. If you have any ideas for a venue do get in touch!