Young and Emerging Artist Group
15 November 2022
Young and Emerging Artists Group
Dorset Visual Arts (DVA) and artist Izzie Jobbins have set up a new grouping of artists focused on the needs and interests of young and emergent artists, designers, and makers. We are now accepting applications to join the new group and become a member of Dorset Visual Arts. This group will focus on bringing together artists to share ideas, knowledge, skills, and critical discourse. Applications to join the group are open now. The group will start meeting in January 2023.
Who is eligible?
This new group is open to young and emergent artists, designers, and makers based in Dorset. While artists of any age can apply, we are looking for artists at the beginning of their professional career who would benefit from a support network of those in a similar position.
- Those who have recently completed a relevant arts or design foundation degree, undergraduate/postgraduate degree, or arts A-level.
- Those who have recently moved back to the area and are looking for a support network.
- Professional artists at the beginning of their career.
- Emergent artists who are looking to start their career.
You must be based in Dorset to be a part of this group.
Please send the following to Izzie at [email protected]:
A short Artist Statement (150-250 words).
A portfolio of recent work. This could be a link to a website, social media pages, or a short PDF of images/videos.
A short statement on why you want to join the new group (100-200 words).
- Monthly meetings to discuss artwork in a critical capacity. These will also be a chance to socialise and network with the other members. To start with these will be over zoom, however in person meetings will also take place in the future.
- Bi-annual socials to connect and create camaraderie with other Young DVA members.
- E-booklet to showcase members work that will be shared to the DVA website. This will create a directory of emerging artists that other organisations can use to connect with artists.
- Opportunity to join other DVA member special interest groups, which are currently being established. These will focus on specific interests of artists relating to material or subject matter.
- Exhibition opportunities including an exhibition at Sherborne House within the first 12 months of it’s opening (currently October 2023).
- Group chat for members to discuss work, chat, and send relevant information in between meetings.
- 10% discount on entry to Dorset Art Weeks 2024, for members who also renew in 2023/24, as well as any other paid DVA entries and opportunities.
- Dedicated personal page on the Dorset Visual Arts Website that can be linked to own website or social media pages.
- Online gallery page on the DVA website to upload curated selections of work in online exhibitions.
- 10 E-News a year with opportunities, events, and information. It is currently expanding to include feature interviews and members project news as well as their listings and all news items, professional development opportunities. Young DVA Members can also use this service to share any events or exhibitions they feature in, to other DVA members.
Fees to join the Young and Emerging Artist group and become a member of Dorset Visual Arts are £50. This includes your membership fee and entitles members to the above benefits. The fee goes towards supporting Dorset Visual Arts charitable aims and the running the Young and Emerging Artist group. Please note that the annual fee can be paid in two instalments.
If you would like to speak about the group further or have any questions, please email Izzie Jobbins at [email protected].Back